Monday, August 1, 2016

“The Grownup” is Scary and Disturbing in True Gillian Flynn Fashion

For only being sixty pages, this short story blew me away.

The Grownup was trademark Flynn—it captured a twisted and disturbing tale through the main character, whose messed up childhood caused her to grow into a manipulative woman.

Our unnamed narrator is a psychic who pretends to read people’s auras. She tricks them by lying and telling them what they want to hear. But when Susan Burke walks in, she draws the narrator into her own unnerving life, complete with a “haunted” mansion and a demonic stepson.


“The women who came in groups, they were frivolous, fancy, boozy, ready to have fun. The ones who came alone, though, they wanted to believe. They were desperate.”

The descriptions of Carterhook Manor made me shiver and Miles, Susan’s stepson, freaked me out. I loved how the plot twists took the story in completely different directions and I could never quite be sure what was going on.

I feel like I should warn people that the ending is ambiguous. Personally, I loved the open ending, and thought it was the perfect place to bring the story to a halt, but I know it might frustrate readers who like a bit more closure.

A marvelous, screwed up little story.


No comments:

Post a Comment