Tuesday, August 2, 2016

July Wrap Up

July was a great reading month for me! While I didn’t have much time to read at the beginning of the month, as I was busy camping for the Fourth of July weekend (which was a blast!), I ended up reading a total of fifteen books, which I’m pretty happy with.

The Unexpected Everything, by Morgan Matson
Rating: Four teacups

This book was so cute! It really surprised me since I wasn’t a fan of Matson’s Since You’ve Been Gone. A perfect summer read.


Click for full review.



Pearl, by Deirdre Riordan Hall
Rating: One teacup

This book was a huge disappointment, especially since I really enjoyed Hall’s Sugar. I didn’t like the main character or her behavior.

Click for full review.

Charm & Strange, by Stephanie Kuehn
Rating: Two teacups

I was super excited to read this book, but it ended up being too strange for me. I liked the writing and the mysterious atmosphere, so I’ll probably try another one of Kuehn’s books.

Click for full review.
 The Grownup, by Gillian Flynn
Rating: Four and a half teacups

Oh my, this short story was a gem! At only sixty pages it kept me guessing and frightened me with the amazingly creepy characters. One of my favorites by Flynn.

Click for full review.
Annabel Lee, by Edgar Allan Poe
Rating: Three teacups

This was a bittersweet poem that I enjoyed, but I preferred Poe’s creepy poem The Raven to this sad tale of lost love.
Lady Renegades, by Rachel Hawkins
Rating: Two teacups

This was a weak ending to a series that started out strong, but I honestly wasn’t surprised since things started going downhill in Miss Mayhem.

Click for full review.
My Lady Jane, by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Medows
Rating: Five teacups

Aww, I loved this book so much! It was fun, fast paced, and the characters became so dear to my heart. I think most anyone would enjoy it!

Click for full review.
The Darkest Corners, by Kara Thomas
Rating: Two and a half teacups

I nearly DNFed this one, but I’m glad I didn’t because the story improved immensely by the end. I just wish the beginning had been stronger.

Click for full review.
And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie
Rating: Five teacups

This was my first Christie novel and I fell absolutely, madly in love. The mystery had me hooked from the first page and I never could have guessed how things turned out!

Click for full review.
Ugly Love, by Colleen Hoover
Rating: Two teacups

I didn’t have any luck with Hoover’s Confess, but the hype made me pick up this book. I was hoping for a more mature romance, but this one was another obsessive, unhealthy relationship. *sigh*

Click for full review.
Rat Queens, Vol. 1, by Kurtis J. Wiebe and Roc Upchurch
Rating: Three teacups

This was a pretty fun comic, but I would have liked more in depth characters and a more detailed plot. It did make me chuckle, though. 
Dare Me, by Megan Abbott
Rating: Two teacups

I was dying to pick up this book after reading rave reviews for Abbott’s newest release, You Will Know Me. I was sure I would love it, but gorgeous writing aside, the mystery proved to be a huge letdown.

Click for full review.
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, by Bryn Greenwood
Rating: Four teacups

Uncomfortable topic, gorgeous prose, and a heartbreaking story brimming with emotion. I quickly fell in love with this book and would recommend it to daring readers.

Click for full review.
A Book of Spirits and Thieves, by Morgan Rhodes
Rating: Three teacups

While this brought absolutely nothing new to the fantasy genre, it was a good dose of fun and the character development was impressive.

Click for full review.
Eleven Hours, by Pamela Erens
Rating: Three teacups

The study of two pregnant women’s minds was very interesting, but was a little lacking at under two hundred pages.

Click for full review.


No comments:

Post a Comment