Monday, August 1, 2016

“Charm & Strange” is Really Weird Magical Realism

I struggled to rate this book. On one hand, I wanted to give it a high rating because of the author’s haunting, beautiful writing and the fact that she obviously knows what she’s talking about (she has a degree in psychology, and her knowledge showed through the story).

But on the other hand, I couldn’t get past the feeling that this book was just too weird for me.


Andrew Winters has always been fueled by his competitive streak. He’s the best tennis player on his team, he makes good grades, and is popular in school. His aggressive nature takes a turn when he starts having violent flashes, however, and seriously injures several people.

When his parents send him away to a boarding school in New England to recuperate, Andrew becomes a recluse there, not letting anyone get close to him.

The chapters alternate from the past and present, telling two different tales of the ten-year-old Andrew, and his future, sixteen-year-old self, known as “Win.” I thought the flashback style added an even more mysterious tone, and my mind was racing with a million questions. What was wrong with Andrew/Win? Why did he have the urge to hurt people . . . even himself?

This book was very short and was a cross between a mystery and a psychological study of one young man’s mind. For the first half, I was more intrigued than anything.I was sure I would end up giving it at least four stars, but as it went along, I struggled to comprehend what the heck was actually going on.

The ending didn’t offer much of an explanation. As I came to the last page, I wondered what kind of crazy book I had just read. Andrew’s strange behavior was wrapped up in a bizarre way that confused me more than ever.

I can’t say much about it for the sake of spoilers, but I think Charm & Strange is for a very specific type of reader—those who like the weird and surreal—and, unfortunately, that wasn’t me.

I’ll probably give another one of Kuehn’s novels a shot, because I did love her addictive, unique style, and hopefully I will have more luck with a plot that won’t muddle my brain.


No comments:

Post a Comment