Monday, August 1, 2016

“A Book of Spirits and Thieves” is Predictable, Yet Entertaining

Here we have yet another traditional YA fantasy.

I think everyone knows what “traditional” means by now—a main character who has magical powers but doesn’t know they’re special yet, an evil ruler dictating the land, plot twists, action, and some romance thrown in the batch.

I’m sorry to say it, but the world building was laughable. The fantasy realm literally consisted of an evil villainess ruling over everyone, some people having magical powers, and some poor villagers. There were no details or explanations beyond that. It even had the same old idea of a “girl going into a fantasy world through a magical book,” which I first read in Inkheart.


What I did like were the characters. There was Crys with her love of photography and parent problems, dreamy Becca who loved to read, the rich and spoiled “bad boy” Farrell, who got caught up in a secret society, and Maddox, who was struggling to harness his powers in a world where witches were burned at the stake.

Crys and Becca are sisters who’ve had a tense relationship ever since their dad left. When a package arrives in the mail, Becca opens it to discover a book—a book that sucks her into another world as soon as she opens the pages.

The four narratives took turns switching from the fantasy world and the real world, where evil forces had to be stopped on both sides. I really liked seeing things play out between Crys and Farrell, who had lots of chemistry, but with him being an evil henchman trying to get information from her, it was far from your average romance.

“Can you do me a couple of favors, Farrell?”
“Depends on what they are.”
“Tell Markus if he’s going to send spies after me, he should send smarter ones.”

I’m not sure at this point if I’m going to read any more by Morgan Rhodes. I feel like I’ve already readA Book of Spirits and Thieves ten times before. That said, I would still recommend it to anyone in the mood for nothing more than a fun, light read.


No comments:

Post a Comment