Thursday, July 28, 2016

“Truthwitch” is Light on World Building, Heavy on the Fantasy Fun

“I’ll always follow you, Safi, and you’ll always follow me. Threadsisters to the end.”

Witches! Action! Steamy ballroom dances! Whooo!

I think it’s apparent by the cover, but just in case you didn’t know, this is very typical YA fantasy. It doesn’t add anything new to the genre. That being said, it was incredibly fast paced and had a cast of awesome narrators.

I really liked the romance, I didn’t have problems with any of the characters, and Safiya and Iseult were a pair of super-cool Threadsisters. It had a very Throne of Glass feel. Was the plot cheesy, predictable, and the world building underdeveloped? Yep. Did I care? Not in the slightest.


Safiya is a Truthwitch who can sense truths and lies; Iseult is a Threadwitch who can see people’s “Threads,” or emotions. The girls were so freaking awesome together. They kept up a constant hilarious banter, were fiercely protective of one another, and could plan the best heist or escape in the Witchlands.

When Safiya and Iseult are on the run from a Bloodwitch monk who is hunting them down, they meet up with Prince Merik, a Windwitch, and board his ship.

I’ve read the reviews and I know people are calling the romance insta-love. And I'm not disagreeing; Safiya and Merik did fall in love impossibly fast . . . but I still . . . really liked it. They had a crazy strong chemistry what with their love-hate relationship and the scenes they were in had me swooning.

“She didn’t break her gaze from Merik, and there was a fierceness there—a challenge that sent Merik further beneath the waves of the dance.”

I did have a problem with how Safiya overshadowed Iseult—for about half the book Iseult was wounded and didn’t do much besides lying around while Safiya was the center of attention. I hope Iseult is focused on more in the next book; I would like to learn more about her.

Truthwitch was cheesy and light, but I had such a good time reading it that I forgave all of its faults. Seriously, so much fun. Can I have the sequel now, please?


No comments:

Post a Comment