Thursday, July 28, 2016

“The Martian” Defines Humanity with a Good Dose of Humor

If a hiker gets lost in the mountains, people will coordinate a search. If a train crashes, people will line up to give blood. If an earthquake levels a city, people all over the world will send emergency supplies. This is so fundamentally human that it’s found in every culture without exception.”

Mark Watney is stranded on Mars after an accident occurred and his crew mates left him behind, presuming him dead. Now he must survive on a planet where all the odds are against him.

This book was fantastic. The best thing about it were the characters. They were all well developed, fleshed-out, and dynamic so that they felt like real people. And there was a large cast, too, despite the plot being about one man stranded on a desolate planet.


Even Mark, being so alone, in such a grim and bleak situation, was upbeat and cheerful about his circumstances. I loved his optimism. He had me laughing out loud several times with his snarky and crude humor. He was also admirably determined. He had a strong sense of survival and never gave up hope that he would make it home. Combine that with his nerdy, smart personality and you have a hilarious, strong, intelligent astronaut for a main character.


I almost always read books before I see the movie, but I made an exception in the case of The Martian. And I’m glad I did because the movie showed me images of all the space tech that I wouldn’t have been able to understand if I’d read the book first. It helped sort out confusing astronaut-related phrases that I would’ve been clueless about otherwise.

I understand how some readers might find the scientific parts of this book overwhelming. There were LOTS of science-y facts. Mark is constantly figuring out one problem after another and he usually has to do so mathematically. I personally liked all the science, even though it was a bit info-dumpy at times.

Before starting this book I didn’t know most of it was told through Mark’s “log entries.” This added a unique and raw touch. I was able to feel even closer to Mark since I was basically reading his diary. I could hear all his personal thoughts firsthand that came straight from the depths of his mind.

When it was discovered that Mark was alive, all the teamwork that went into rescuing him was powerful and inspirational. It was emphasized that Mark was just a regular guy. He wasn’t a celebrity or a president. He was an average human—an astronaut, yes—but one who joked and cursed and occasionally grew angry or depressed.

This book was about a single, ordinary man who was desperate to survive and all the hard work that was put into saving his life. It was heartwarming.



No comments:

Post a Comment