Thursday, July 28, 2016

“Six of Crows” is Smashing, Epic Fantasy

It’s as epic as they say it is.

Six of Crows was everything I could have hoped for. It gave me so many feels that by the end I was an emotionally devastated, fangirling mess. I loved everything about this beautiful book.

I loved the cast of six ruthless outcasts from the slums who were labeled criminals. They were awesome together in battle and hilarious when they weren’t fighting for their lives or staving off enemies.

The leader of the group, Kaz, was a horrible human being and I can’t even begin to describe my love for his character. He had no regrets and was quick to lie, steal, and kill. But then there was that cleverness, harsh honesty, and his fondness for Inej that made me love him so much even though he was evil to the core.


The rest of the characters were wonderful. They were all messed up, darkly lovable, and played off each other’s personalities perfectly. Their banter was truly funny.

Jesper knocked his head against the hull and cast his eyes heavenward. “Fine. But if Pekka Rollins kills us all, I’m going to get Wylan’s ghost to teach my ghost how to play the flute just so that I can annoy the hell out of your ghost.”
Brekker’s lips quirked. “I’ll just hire Matthias’ ghost to kick your ghost’s ass.”
“My ghost won’t associate with your ghost,” Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain.

The bits of romance woven in between the action and complicated plot were perfection. Kaz and Inej’s longing for each other made me ache
.

I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all.”

The plot was fabulous—fast paced and carefully written so that every detail was planned out. Our six anti-heroes are hired to break an alchemist out of one of the most heavily guarded prisons, the Ice Court. If they succeed, they get a whole lot of money. It was a heist story in the best sense of the word.

So many scenes had a heart-stopping, epic quality that made me reread them over and over. There were so many awesome moments they were a bit overwhelming and at times I had to put the book down to process what had just happened. It made me want to bow at the feet of Leigh Bardugo. She is a queen for writing this masterpiece.

The world was so rich I completely forgot I was reading a book set in the same lightly-developed fantasy world as Shadow and Bone.

I just loved this book to death—the funny scenes, explosive action that made me catch my breath, and dark bits that felt more adult than YA. The reason it was so fantastic was the characters’ amazing narrations. They were astoundingly fleshed-out with hidden pasts and difficult backgrounds so that they felt like real people. I was rooting for them from beginning to end.



No comments:

Post a Comment