Thursday, July 28, 2016

“A Court of Thorns and Roses” has a Dull Plot and Even Duller Romance

What a disappointment. Out of this entire mushy, romance-filled novel, the few action scenes were by far my favorite parts. I’m not saying action always trumps romance, but in the case of A Court of Thorns and Roses, it definitely did.

The word that comes to mind that I think best describes this book is “deceptive.” The cover is gorgeous, the premise alluring, and hello, it’s written by Sarah J. Maas. I was expecting exciting action and swoon-worthy romance and general awesomeness, but the truth is, A Court of Thorns and Roses was unbelievably boring.


The writing was still gorgeous; there’s no denying that Maas is extremely talented. It felt like she simply breathed the beautiful descriptions onto the pages.

Be glad of your human heart, Feyre. Pity those who don’t feel anything at all.”

But pretty writing does not make up for a lifeless plot. After the beginning introduction, I was bored out of my mind. The pace didn’t pick up again until the very end, which admittedly wasn’t so bad. When Feyre began Amarantha’s tests, my attention perked up because something was actually happening, for a change.

The sluggish romance made me cringe. Tamlin and Feyre’s relationship moved way too quickly to resemble anything close to realistic. I also just wasn’t feeling the chemistry between them. Feyre went from hating Tamlin to loving him in only a few chapters, then wouldn’t stop describing his good looks. It was so dull.

I love you.” I could almost hear the words—almost hear him saying them, could almost see the sunlight glinting in his golden hair and the dazzling green of his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment